Help Us to Thank Robin Elliott

60th Anniversary GalaFor more than 20 years, the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation, now a division of the Parkinson’s Foundation, has been led by Robin Anthony Elliott. Just a few weeks ago, we honored Robin at our 60th anniversary gala, in recognition of his service to the community.

Today, we say farewell to Robin and invite you to join us in thanking him for his many contributions.

Since Robin joined in 1995, the Foundation has driven transformations in Parkinson’s science, care and advocacy, helping to advance the cause for millions worldwide. His leadership has made possible a tripling of our investment in research and the launch of groundbreaking patient engagement programs.

Today, we share photos from the gala, and videos in which community members share their memories. Perhaps you too have a memory of Robin whether you have encountered him at a community event or online at a PD ExpertBriefing.

We invite you to share them in the comments below or donate in Robin’s name here.

Video Tributes

View more video tributes here.
Photos and Journal Sponsors

Lastly, we invite you to join us in looking ahead. As you may know, last year the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation merged with the National Parkinson Foundation, to form the Parkinson’s Foundation.

Under the leadership of our new CEO, John L. Lehr, the two organizations are now working together toward a world without Parkinson’s. We look forward to taking the journey with you.

Photo Credits: Sylvain Gaboury/Patrick McMullan and HigginsPhotoNYC

Video credit: Special thanks and credit to in-kind sponsor Drury Design Dynamics.

20 thoughts on “Help Us to Thank Robin Elliott

1. Carey Christensen

Robin, the way you listen to patients and understand our concerns always gives me hope and comfort. It has been an honor to work with you and PDF for more than a decade. Your pioneering patient council, PPAC, is surely one of your greatest legacies. Thank you so very much for your hard work on our behalf. You set the standard!

Warmly,
    Carey Christensen

2. Shirley Emgebretsen

I have never met you, but your leadership has touched my life in a major way. I am 66 years old and have Parkinson’s disease. I found answers to my questions on your web site when I had no idea what to expect. Your staff and researchers have given me hope. I cannot thank all of you enough.

Shirley Engebretsen

3. Peggy Willocks

Sorry Robin, that I am so late wiith this, but I haven’t
    been at 100% since discovering that my DBS had
    been turned off for almost a month. But you
    would be so happy to see me without any
    dyskinesias.
    I just wanted to say “Thanks” for always making
    the most important person in research to be the
    person wth Parkinson’s. I will always say that
    without that kind of thinking, we will never find
    a cure. And you always operated like this.
    I’m not saying goodbye because unless you
    move back “across the pond” I hope to see you
    again.
    God bless you in whatever you do, and you
    will always be the BEST in my book!

4. Alan Zimmerman

I want to be like Robin.

Your style, your grace, your demeanor, your creativity, your perseverance, your knowledge, your caring, but most of all your friendship is so valuable.

We knew this day would come and we dreaded it but we will have a new beginning – all of us.

5. Jane eger

Dearest Robin,
    What a creative genius you are! You have done so much for Parkinson’s patents. You will be missed but none of us will ever leave you alone! With great admiration and love,
    Jane and David Eger

6. Barbara Iason

Dear Robin,
    Your warmth, kindness and intelligence have made my husband and me feel so welcome at the wonderful meetings that have educated and encouraged us these last few years. You have offered all of us a community where we learn and feel your support and each other’s. Obviously, the organization provides funds for research and training which is extremely important and you have been the leader in raising the funds and awareness. We thank you for all that you have done to help understand and fight the disease and help those afflicted.
    Finally, you know how we feel about the cookies!
    All the best,
    Barbara Iason and Rob Buford

7. Tom Hessemer

Robin

I enjoyed working with you and the PDF on a number of PSA campaigns in the past. I congratulate you on your devotion to the cause of curing PD and wish you much success in the future.

Tom Hessemer

8. Mike Miles

Robin,
    Shortly after I joined the staff of Dallas Area Parkinsonism Society (DAPS), it was my privilege to meet you at an Alliance of Independent Regional Parkinson’s Organizations (AIRPO) meeting. Your commitment, dedication, and passion to serving the Parkinson’s community was evident immediately. Thank you for all that you have done over the years to support the Parkinson’s community and to support and encourage AIRPO!
    You will be missed in so many ways … not the least of which is the hope, enthusiasm, and positive spirit that you always brought into the room!
    Mike Miles, DAPS

9. Thia Fox

Dear Mr. Elliott,
    It has been a profound pleasure to have known you for these many years. I know for a fact that when you did come to Washington, D.C. to visit with Mr. Prince – I enjoyed having you here more than you knew! You have the warmest personality and such strength to help so many. Those gifts of being patient and listening to others have never gone unnoticed. And truly your friends & associates will miss them but will miss having you around even more.

I wish you much happiness in your new adventures of retirement and leisure!
    Warmest regards,

10. Cinda Lawrence

Dear Mr. Elliott,
    I echo all the love and deep gratitude expressed in the words posted here by so many. You have done what makes a human life — and many, many human lives infinitely better — you have spent your life making the world better than you found it, particularly the lives of frightened, confused PD patients, trying so hard to understand a complex disease that is very tough to navigate. You eased their journey (my own PD friends among them) and the Parkinsons Foundation continues to do the same. There can be no greater gift to humankind and the struggling in this world than that. Bless you and eternal thanks.

Warm regards,
    Cinda

11. Mike Epstein

Hi Robin,
    On behalf of myself and my entire family, we thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to helping people with Parkinson’s. You and Sheila are amazing people who do so much to help so many – you are both truly one (or two!) of a kind! My dad sends you his regards as we continue to battle this disease. Thank you for everything you have done and nothing but love, success and happiness to you both!!! With much appreciation, The Epstein Family!

12. julie carter

Dear Robin,

You have always been an inspiration to me as a colleague and as a friend. Your contribution will have a lasting effect that will continue to help people and their families with Parkinson’s disease for years to come. Thank you for your dedication, compassion and warmth.
    My very best wishes to you for your next chapter…you will be missed. Julie Carter

13. Phil Myers

Robin,
    Your leadership and drive have been a guiding light to all of us. It will be sorely missed. The progress that has been made in the fight against PD is largely because of your efforts. Your impact will be felt for many years. God’s speed and good luck in your future endeavors.
    Phil Myers, Research Advocate.

14. Steve Sant

From down under in Australia we have been impressed with the work done by the PDF and the leadership of Robin. Robin’s contribution has been enormous and will be missed both in the US and internationally. We wish Robin well in his retirement and if you are ever in our part of the world please look us.

Steve Sant
    CEO
    Parkinson’s Australia

15. Keith Knapcik

Robin,

My family and I attended a Parkinson’s event at Rush Hospital in Chicago the morning after a snowstorm. Because of the snow not many people showed up. My family and I decided to sit up front where we met the nicest gentleman. It turned out to be Robin. He was most gracious and made us feel so comfortable. It was an honor to meet and spend some time with him.

16. Linda Giorgilli Rice

I have such admiration and respect for Robin Elliott, for his involvement and commitment to making a real difference in the lives of people affected by Parkinson’s disease. I cared for my dad who had Parkinson’s and learned so much from the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation, through their many resources and programs. When Parkinson’s touches those who have been diagnosed, as well as their family and friends, you would assume that the doctors are the first avenue of understanding and support, but you quickly learn that is not necessarily the case at all. It was a confusing and troubling time for my family, that is until we were introduced to the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation. It was there where the best answers were found, where information was abundant and helpful tips plentiful. An organization doesn’t just run successfully without good leadership. Robin Elliott is such a great example of this. Thank you to Mr. Elliott with every bit of sincerity.

17. maria

Dear Robin,
    sorry I am a bit late but did not want to miss this opportunity to express my deepest gratitude for all that you have done to advance the cause of Parkinson’s in our community and for your selfless way you took me in and everyone who has ever come in contact with you and made us feel welcome and a part of your family.
    I am certain that you will find ways to stay busy and continue to excel at whatever you do. I wish you the very best to you and your family. (PDF) PF wont be the same without you!
    love,
    Maria

18. Denny P Jacobson

Dear Robin – it has been a great experience working with you over the years. Your contributions to all aspects in support of those with PD and efforts to alleviate it and find a cure have been enormous. It will be hard to replace the
    drive and enthusiasm you brought. My very best wishes to you for success and enjoyment in your future endeavors.
    With warmest wishes to you ,
    Denny P Jacobson